Many people don’t realize the issues students face daily
- Roughly four out of five public schools report violent criminal incidents.
- About 20 percent of all students aged 12 to 18 report being bullied.
- More than 30 percent of sixth grade students have been bullied.
- Bullying rates at public schools are 28 percent higher than private schools.
- The U.S. Department of Education estimates about 10 percent of students experience some form of sexual misconduct by a school employee.
- The suicide rate for adolescents aged 13 to 18 increased by nearly 31 percent from 2010 to 2015.
The authors have an idea that everyone should be able to get behind: more educational options for children who do not feel safe in their residentially assigned schoolsCorey A. DeAngelis
Director of School Choice
Adjunct Scholar at the Cato Institute